Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Juicy Lemon Shampoo

Oh, I have a new favorite thing. Juicy Lemon shampoo! Just seeing these lemons makes my mouth water! Are you just squinting your eyes and puckering your lips looking at them? Well, while on a fav site of mine, http://www.instructables.com/, I came across a recipe from "scoochmaroo." I've tweaked her recipe a bit to suit my type of hair. I've changed it up a bit, so here it goes:


1/4 c. Distilled Water

1/4c. Liquid Castile Soap

4 tsp. Olive Oil, extra virgin

1 tsp. Glycerin

20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil

Couple dashes of salt (to thicken it)

You can use Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap, which is so multi-purpose, it's really amazing. The writing on the outside of the bottle, a little strange albeit. Though Dr. Bronner is no longer with us... Anyway, I made my own castile soap, because I find that I like my shampoo thicker. So here is the recipe for making your own liquid castile soap, which I find more economical.


1 c. firmly packed grated Castile bar soap (this takes about 2, 4oz. bars @ $1 each) -grate it on a cheese grater or in your food processor.

4 c. Water

2 T. Glycerin


Mix your grated soap in with the water on low heat. Once the soap is dissolved, add the glycerin. Stir, then transfer to a jar and cover tightly. Let this sit over night and it will thicken up. I usually store mine in mason jars or whatever jar is handy.


I used it tonight for the first time and am loving how it doesn't strip my hair like store-bought shampoos do. My hair feels full and thick. I added twice as much oil as "scoochmaroo" did, so you may want to play around with the recipe a bit to suit your hair type. My hair smells so yummy. Well try it out and tell me what you think! Happy Hair Washing!


Simply Sarah

1 comment:

Simply Sarah said...

oops, sorry about the olive oil amt. it should read 2 tsp! thanks